Operations: Director of Operations
Location: Glastonbury, CT | USA
Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: President
Location: Glastonbury, CT, USA
Reporting to the President, the Director of Operations will be responsible for effectively leading, developing, and supporting Operations through leading People, Products, and Performance across iTi. The Director of Operations will be instrumental in driving profitability and step-change performance across all operations by leveraging a Continuous Improvement Framework, Quality, and Safety to achieve World Class Operations.
The Director of Operations will also be responsible for all operations activities, strategy, implementation, and performance. As a critical member of the leadership team, he/she will provide leadership across the iTi organization, including the interpreting, translations, quality, sourcing, and project management office. He/She will be focused on continuous improvement to properly scale the operations and improve utilization and productivity through a Lean mindset/philosophy coupled with appropriate investment in technology as required.
The Director of Operations models and acts according to the company’s mission, vision, core values, and leadership behaviors and plays a critical role in implementing the same across the company.
THE FOLLOWING KEY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES ENSURE THE CRITICAL SUCCESS OF THIS POSITION
- 20% – Develop and implement a strategy to streamline operations to align with growth strategies.
- Participate in the strategic planning process to understand customer, business, and technical objectives, scope strategic opportunities, and deliver effective solutions.
- Define and execute a strategic roadmap, including change management regarding operations and operational excellence
- Design strategies and best practices to deploy labor, capital, and priorities to ensure tactical and strategic objectives remain on track, collaborate cross-functionally to achieve business results, and progress strategic efforts
- Participate as an active member of the leadership team and act as a critical interface with all internal stakeholders, manage risks to ensure the continuity of the supply chain, and mitigate risks around points of failure
- Promote best practices across all departments and operations
- Facilitate CAPEX investments and ensure capital, capacity, and expense spending are aligned with overall growth strategies
- Collaborate with Finance, Operations, and management team in the Annual Operating Plan for enterprise-wide initiatives, strategic projects, including budgets
- Integrate acquisitions and identify opportunities to increase operational efficiency
- 30% – Lead and drive company-wide operations to deliver identified results on time and within budget across all iTi business operations
- Lead and manage all operations across Prescheduled and OnDemand Interpreting, Document and Website Translations, QA and QC, and sourcing functions.
- As a key operations leader, lead and support strategy development initiatives and planning through an empowered operations organization with high value placed on people and their development, openness to change, an insistence on execution, and commitment to serving our customers.
- Provide regular updates and course corrections to ensure all strategic and tactical objectives are being met and adjusted through effective program and project management.
- Participate and facilitate in the review process for projects to move from one stage to the next (Toll-Gate Process as required)
- Design, develop and execute all new capability initiatives that include New Product or Service Development and New Products or Services Introduction
- 30% – Lead and facilitate strategically aligned continuous improvement projects to deliver short-term and long-term results for the iTi operations team
- Define, develop, implement, and share lean operations; implement and maintain standardized tools, systems, and processes throughout the business unit operations functions.
- Responsible for all continuous improvement projects from initiation to execution, delivering on all identified deliverables
- Be proficient with Business Process Management Systems (BPMS), document/map current and future state processes, and train other departments and staff as needed
- Lead and participate in cross-functional and cross-departmental process improvement efforts.
- Assist in defining and resolving gaps in processes that affect performance, profitability, growth, and quality
- Assist in the workflow design and Documentation for all projects across the organization.
- Understand the change management challenges and communicate with the leadership team and various other departments and functions of the business as needed.
- Apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to support the development of business processes, ensuring that project deliverables are met according to specifications.
- Become a mentor, coach, and technical leader in implementing Transformation and Operational Excellence Programs.
- 20% – Become a strategic people developer and ensure that all operations employees work as a cohesive team and continuously communicate and share best practices to maintain organizational health.
- Assist and facilitate developing a high-performing operations team, assessing and then reconfiguring and redesigning (as required) to create a sustainable, lean, collaborative group.
- Ensure staff is positioned to meet current and future business needs. Improve training and development at all levels.
- Assist in elevating and hiring talent to ensure a winning team and create a best-in-class operations team
- Coach and mentor operations employees to effectively drive the strategic objectives and goals of the operations team
- Develop and execute an operations Talent recruit, retain and grow strategy
- Motivating, coaching, and providing development opportunities to handle increased responsibility
- Accurately assess capabilities and assist in building robust development plans to grow talent at all levels and assist in their career growth
- Provide constructive suggestions and encouragement, set performance expectations, provide honest feedback, and identify assignments to provide managers, supervisors, and staff developmental opportunities.
- Facilitate, reward, recognize, and lead performance management processes to improve operations team engagement and performance.
Key success measures (outcomes) for this position:
- Deliver year-over-year service levels and operational excellence targets at the department level and individual managers’ level
- Timely completion of CI projects
- Performance indicators for PMO and CI projects
- Cost savings analysis and trends based on CI and PMO initiatives
- Customer satisfaction – Ensure every project exceeds planned financial and non-financial benefits as identified in project charters
- Complete Lean Six Sigma / Lean certification at the blackbelt and or master blackbelt level
- Process and Department profitability and productivity analysis
- CAPEX investment analysis tied to strategic plans and goals
EDUCATION and PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCEs
- A Bachelor of Science degree in technical, engineering, or business discipline
- Master’s degree in business or operations preferred
- At least five years of managerial experience leading multi-department/functional operations.
- 8+ years of professional experience spanning relevant areas of manufacturing, operations, supply chain management, procurement, and quality, preferably in the linguistic industry
- Demonstrable experience in multi-site operations, business transformation, resolving flow issues, and establishing value streams
- Knowledge and experience in working with operations technology and systems to support efficiency and track KPIs
- Experience operating and leading in a lean environment and experience in ISO9001 is essential
- Experience with M&A and operations rationalization (consolidate/shutdown) experience and successfully led the planning and execution of consolidating products, processes, and physical footprint of at least two or more facilities and divisions
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and lead and develop high performing teams in a high growth environment, a track record of driving operational excellence, implementing significant improvements resulting in cost reductions, and a systematic, hands-on, pragmatic, solutions-focused approach
- Demonstrated ability to establish and lead a team in Continuous improvement (Lean and Six Sigma) methodologies
- Excellent communication skills and people management skills across all levels
- Continuous learning: a quick, relentless, and versatile learner. Can analyze both successes and failures and learn from the experience.
- Ability to sift through data and information, solicit opportunities and possibilities, and communicate effectively to others.
- Ability to blend intuition with analytical skills.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description describes the general nature and level of work; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. In no way this job description implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their manager/supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws
iTi, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V